Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Book Review: Bloodline by Claudia Gray

Bloodline (Star Wars)Bloodline by Claudia Gray
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've been on a Star Wars kick lately, consuming everything new in the Star Wars universe--the new movies, the Rebels cartoon, the new comic books. So, I decided that I would give another Star Wars novel a try. I have problems with Chuck Wendig as an author, but this one had pretty good reviews. Overall, this was a very fun read.

People around me are hailing Wonder Woman as the must-see movie of the summer. Not just because it is good, but because it is meaningful. They say that this movie is so important because finally, we have a strong female lead in a superhero movie. I would echo that about this book. Going in I was skeptical about how much I would like a novel focused on Princess Leia, but it was a really fun romp. Yes, there are parts where we are detailing the political process within the Republic Senate, but Leia is a very engaging character with a wide range of emotions. I learned to respect her more and really grew to enjoy her. So much so that I started to not care as much about the other characters in the book and would rush through their parts.

Like I say in most of my reviews, Gray is no Faulkner. The write was fine for a fast food novel, but this doesn't have the type of deep, substantial, beautiful prose that is going to satisfy a literature lover like me. The book has a job, tell a story, and it just does its job without being overly flashy. It's fine.

I did enjoy the connections this novel made between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. I don't want to go into too much detail, but it did fill in some plot holes and answered some questions that I had after viewing TFA. I thought this book did an admiral job in that respect.

This book features characters that you know and love, Leia, C3P0, Han Solo. But also introduces you to some wonderful new characters. My favorite being the brash young pilot: Joph Seastriker. I mean come on, that is a Star Wars name if I have every heard one. Seastriker!? Sounds like Skywalker to me. And instantly I knew this character would be similar, a dreamy kid looking to get into the action, to go on adventures.

There is a lot to enjoy here, thus why I gave it four stars. I like it. I had fun reading it. I don't know if I will seek out more novels in the new Star Wars universe, but it was enjoyable to continue to hang out in this universe.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment